Wednesday 27 August 2008

Cathy

This is influenced by my favourite novel 'Wuthering Heights' - I took it from Cathy's perspective even in death. This could even be done as a monologue.

Cathy:

Where am I?
I don't like this!
Where am I going?
Is this what death's like?
One long, empty void?
Where's Heathcliff?
All I said was that I loved him.
That I am Heathcliff!
Why did I get married to that silly Linton?
He never was my soulmate -
Not like Heathcliff.
All I wanted was airs and graces
And all the attention in the world.
I was seduced by this lifestyle,
Now look what's come of it!
I wanted Heathcliff more than anything.
It nearly happened before I died ironically!
I was ill then - brought on by myself
According to the love of my life.
All I want is to go home,
Be where I belong for a change!
I don't want to be lost anymore.

What's that? A light?
The outline's becoming clearer!
Is it The Grange?
No! It is the Heights! My home!
Is it my salvation?
Or is it Heathcliff?
I remember every little detail -
The fire, the window...
The window! Is it my love?
I'll take a closer peep.
It is!!!
Heathcliff! Heathcliff!
Let me in! Please! Let me in!
Don't you recognise me?
Cathy Linton! Your Cathy!
Careful of my hand!

The blood...strangely cleansing.
Wash away my sin
In your scarlet river.
I'll try again soon!
A voice? Heathcliff! I hear you!
But you don't hear me.
I'll come back to you -
If this force that's pulling me stops!
Heathcliff! Heathcliff!
I love you my darling!
Always have, always willlll.....

No comments: