Tuesday 26 August 2008

Truth Hurts

Yet another poem in the Moulin Rouge aftermath, only this time, I decided to write it from the point of view of one of the more unlucky women who might have been working at the moulin rouge at that time rather than the Nicole Kidman character. Great as a performance piece again!

Truth Hurts:

Deep in the shadows is
Someone who has been to hell.
I constantly live in mine -
There's no way out of here.

You think I enjoy my life?
Do you really think that
Wearing a sparkling costume
Is the bee's knees?

No one knows about my addiction -
It's the only thing that keeps me going.
Cannabis, weed, coke -
I hate it, but nothing else helps.

Drink doesn't help either -
I always mix. It's my other
Release - a constant blur,
But do I care? No.

I know what you're thinking!
A poor girl who needs to escape -
Just leave me alone!
I don't need you! I don't need anyone!

I'm a right mess aren't I?
The truth hurts sometimes.
But then it comes with the job -
A courtesan in the Moulin Rouge!

No comments: